- There are some great videos on swarming behaviour of animals. Here are just two quick examples: a starling murmuration and a school of tuna.
- Segmentation stripes are formed in the first hours of a fly’s development. They are the molecular markers that give rise to the actual body segments of a fly.
- More generally speaking, early development in the fruit fly (official species name Drosophila melanogaster) is a well-studied topic. See for instance this beautiful video and check out this “cyberspace guide”.
- Paulien Hogeweg already mentioned this challenge of understanding how complex rules generate complex dynamics several years ago as we were chatting.
- The figure was made with Matplotlib using the XKCD look.